Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Expanding the music

This has nothing to do with beer, golf or cigars but makes beer and cigars on the deck more enjoyable.  It's the Airport Express from Apple and has expanded my music listening options at home.  I purchased the Airport Express and an HP laptop from BestBuy a few weeks ago, hooked the AirPort Express up to a Denon receiver upstairs and now I can sit on the couch upstairs, or out on the deck, and listen to and control my iTunes collection that resides on a desktop computer in the lower level.  Even with over 3,000 songs iTunes can get old, or expensive to add on to, and Airfoil and Pandora has solved that problem for me.  Airfoil installs on the laptop allows me to stream Pandora, and anything else, to the Airport Express....now we create channels on Pandora based on our mood and listen to hours of music.  And it sounds good, good enough in fact that it prompted me to buy a new Polk subwoofer to match the satellites in the living room, and new Klipsch outdoor speakers on the covered deck.  Even Glee sounds good now :)

2 comments:

  1. Instead of (or in addition to) the laptop; If you have an iPhone or iPod touch, you can use it to control your iTunes library from any room in your home. Just download the Remote application for free at the App Store. Then you can browse music and movies, control volume, and choose any speakers connected to an Airport Express or Apple TV.

    -TBuck

    ReplyDelete
  2. TBuck - I found an android app that does the same thing, so now I can stream music outside from a computer in the basement, and choose playlists, fwd/rev, even adjust volume from the patio.

    ReplyDelete